Apr 13, 2011

Raja the Literacy Cat

Kade had a very captive little audience for his daily reading yesterday! Raja the cat just climbed up and made himself comfy.


Reading to the cat was the most fun he's had reading in a long time! Kade will read if I tell him to, but never choses to read for fun. Long books intimidate him, although he is a pretty good reader (at or slightly above his age level for this time of the school year). This book took him about 25 minutes to read, and he never once asked me if he could take a break.


I've heard of therapy dogs that are taken into school for children to read to. It helps to improve their literacy skills.


After seeing this, I believe animals really can be great reading companions! Kade was definitely more excited about reading to a cat than he ever has been about reading to me! I'm putting that on my mental list of good reasons to get our own cat when we move next year!

(note- Raja is not an actual trained therapy animal. He's just our friend's sweet pet. Well, sweet unless he's trying to steal cheese, in which case he's downright obnoxious! But we love him!)

3 comments:

Riahli said...

So cute! You guys are moving next year? Where to? Wish it was closer to me... :)

Anonymous said...

wow! so special :o)

Unknown said...

Great article Lot's of information to Read...Great Man Keep Posting and update to People..ThanksDisposable Coverall